[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - In defense of "Vowel Movements"

In defense of "Vowel Movements"

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

In defense of "Vowel Movements"

Postby jpchip » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:32 pm

I just have a couple of things to say here...

First and foremost, I respect the fact that the reviewers have a lot of things on their plates, and have lots of musical experience.

But with all due respect, Eric Skalinder, go to Hell.
You're the only person who couldn't get the video to work (granted, I don't know why Steve only sent the DVD and not the DVD/CD combo).
The tuning couldn't POSSIBLY have "gone in and out" since it was computer-adjusted to be perfectly on pitch. There is ONE wrong note on the entire album, and it's in the middle of Don't Cry.
And as far as the video segments go, what did you really expect? College groups can't afford TV camera crews - unless perhaps they're the Duke's Men.

That said, I readily admit that this album suffers from the same affliction as one eighty-eight: overproduction. Too much focus on the technicality of it all and not enough "oomph" to the music. But that doesn't mean it's a piece of crap. Marc Stellrecht on "Gone" is better than anyone in N*Sync. Steve Balesteri's perc on "Opera Singer" - and yes, it's just him and that's how it sounds in concert - is ridiculously cool. And I challenge you to find another college a cappella arrangement that has a tone cluster that sounds as right and fitting as the final chord of Evan Halstead's arrangement of "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm."

I'm not saying this album is the pinnacle achievement of male a cappella, but it doesn't deserve the rough backside treatment it was given by Mr. Skalinder.

Oh, and for the record, guys - the syllables on "Island in the Sun" are just "jay gott-n jen, jay dih dih-jen" and on "Ordinary World" are "tk-a sed a fay." The fact that those combinations might sound like phrases is just a coincidence that didn't occur to the group.

Regards,
John
jpchip

Wow

Postby Nick Lyons » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:19 pm

Nick Lyons

Postby jpchip » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:20 pm

jpchip

Postby GenesisPhreak » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:42 pm

Ahren Okamoto

Ahren (Solo Rock A Cappella 2008-?)
NINE (02-03)
Off The Top (Celebrity Cruise Lines Feb-July 04)
Underground Sound(2004-2005)
2005 & 2006 CARA Nominator
2005 NCHSA Judge
GenesisPhreak

Postby sounderjh » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:54 pm

Jim Harrington
Beatles 1963-1967
Steely Dan 1977-1989
Boyz II Men 1994-1997
Take 6 1997-2000
All-Intergalactic All-Star Vocal Band 2000-pres

[Insert requisite statement of personal responsibility for statements contained
in this post]
sounderjh

Postby jpchip » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:05 pm

jpchip

Postby sdargie » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:35 am

Sean Dargie
sdargie
RARB
RARB

Postby jpchip » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:02 am

jpchip

Postby sdargie » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:28 pm

Sean Dargie
sdargie
RARB
RARB

Re: In defense of "Vowel Movements"

Postby elocomotive » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:09 am

elocomotive

Postby davetrendler » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:16 pm

Hey John,

I was planning to ignore your post, but it's been bugging me.

First, we're volunteers. In this post, you tell Eric Skalinder to go to hell and in a related post about the album's cover art, you called Rebecca Christie a bitch. Both of these reviewers have shown a maturity that you lack by ignoring your immature and unfair abuse. Abusing people who do this for fun isn't cool, especially when their comments weren't nearly deserving of your meanness.

Second, you volunteered. Please keep in mind that your group decided send its album to RARB in order to hear the opinions of experienced, respected reviewers. I've seen reviews much more harsh than this one, and personally, as a fan of your group, I was much more offended by your recent reviews of the reviewers than I was of the reviews themselves.

Third, I consider myself a 'Chips fan (note that your group got my pick of the year in 2002), but your posts have really turned me off. Previously, I considered your group to be a bunch of fun luvin' guys who were good singers, good arrangers, and good at studio recording. Now, I wonder how many of your group are as bitter and base as your posts. I wonder how many other readers are thinking the same thing?

Fourth, your post has several inconsistencies that I'd like to point out to show that your opinion needs to be taken with a big grain of salt:

a) "Eric's the only person who couldn't get the video to work" - He tried five devices. The problem is not Eric.

b) "There is ONE wrong note on the entire album." - Really? Only one? The auto-tuner didn't pull even one single other note up or down? I thought an album I'd auto-tuned was pitch-perfect, too, until someone pointed out that the auto-tuner was mis-calibrated for one song, and had pulled a few notes off in others. Yours is an awfully big claim, especially when you say in a later post that you never even sang one of the songs and when no reviewer thought the album earned higher than a 4/5 for pitch/blend. Finally, I don't know for sure, but Eric might have meant that he heard the auto-tuner kicking in and out.

c) "The fact that those [syllable] combinations might sound like phrases is just a coincidence that didn't occur to the group." - You've missed the point. It's not what your syllables actually are as much as how they ultimately sound. Two out of three reviewers thought two of the exact same sets of syllables were silly enough for comment. Even so, how could the group possibly miss that "coincidence"?

d) "And as far as the video segments go, what did you really expect? College groups can't afford TV camera crews..." - But you can afford to produce a heavily-mixed, 13 track, Dolby 5.1 DVD album complete with karaoke tracks and live performance footage? C'mon, John, Eric's critique of the videos are legit; they look worse than most people's family prom footage. Compared to the otherwise outstanding production on the album, the video looks, umm... pretty bad. RARB reviews what groups send in, not "expectations".

John, it took me about eight hours to listen to your album and write my review, and another half hour to write this post. Please show some consideration toward others by thinking for a few minutes before you start damning people and calling them names.

Thanks,

Dave Trendler
RARB Reviewer
ex-Humbucker
ex-SMC Men
davetrendler
RARB
RARB

Postby jpchip » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:29 pm

jpchip

Postby elocomotive » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:52 pm

elocomotive