Soundproof

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Postby MMY » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:37 pm

actually, something else i wanted to address:

i agree that arrangments that are little more than transcriptions ARE pretty mediocre and boring. but i have also heard my fair share of arrangements that are very "creative" and differ heavily from the original, only to bring an interpretation that i think has either:
1. made the song sound worse
2. lost the essence of the original

i guess the trick is finding that "arranging" middle ground that is more creative than simple transcription, yet maintains the essence of the original song. but if i had to pick, i'd rather listen to a song that errs more on the side of transcription than losing all semblance of the original.

one of the greatest comments i think an arranger can get is someone who says, "i didn't really like that song before, but i love listening to you guys sing your arrangement of it".

i think the Logs have done that on SoundProof, and rightly so.
MMY

Postby cmasone » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:44 pm

MMY wrote:actually, something else i wanted to address:

i agree that arrangments that are little more than transcriptions ARE pretty mediocre and boring. but i have also heard my fair share of arrangements that are very "creative" and differ heavily from the original, only to bring an interpretation that i think has either:
1. made the song sound worse
2. lost the essence of the original

Of course, this is a lot more subjective than "is that arrangement essentially a transcription"

For instance, someone gave the Yale Duke's Men arrangement of What A Good Boy by BNL as an example of an arrangement that was creative and different from the original. I personally think that arrangement lost the essence of the original, and I don't like it. But others do. My personal examples of arrangements I love are the Derbies' House of Stone and Light, and the OTB Don't Stand So Close To Me (which, along with The Hyannis Sound's "Pride" are the only 3 acappella tracks that have made it onto mix CDs that I actually listen to regularly).

And as for the awards-as-motivation thing. I'm not saying that's the reason any of us are here. But it's nice to work hard and receive recognition for that work, isn't it? Some laudatory comments in a review, a nomination or win for best arrangement, a nod at ICCAs for your arranging...something like that would be a nice pat on the back for someone who's worked hard on their arrangements, wouldn't it?

-Chris

PS I am a terrible arranger. Nothing I've ever done would be described as anything better than "workmanlike". However, I have seen and sung a lot of arrangements and I know what I like:-)
cmasone

Postby Cutter » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:20 pm

By the way, how funny is it that the two albums people can't shut up about right now end in "proof"?

Okay, you're right, it's not that funny.

shut up.

Cutter
Cutter

Postby GenesisPhreak » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:11 pm

so hostile.
Ahren Okamoto

Ahren (Solo Rock A Cappella 2008-?)
NINE (02-03)
Off The Top (Celebrity Cruise Lines Feb-July 04)
Underground Sound(2004-2005)
2005 & 2006 CARA Nominator
2005 NCHSA Judge
GenesisPhreak

Postby GenesisPhreak » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:34 pm

just listened to this album, and i cant say i agree with all 5's. It felt TOO perfect, i dont have a prob. with autotune or anything, but the singers sounded like synthesizers for alot of the CD. I loved the arrangements though, (i dont think that they were meant to be imitative) check out these kids arent alright, the soloist needs a little more edge, but the arrangement rules, the end when they lose the VP and just have an almost mens chorus like sound is sweet.

just my thoughts.
Ahren Okamoto

NINE (02-03)
2005 NCHSA Judge
GenesisPhreak

Postby elocomotive » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:45 pm

Oh my god, an actual community review in the community reviews section.
elocomotive

Postby GenesisPhreak » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:19 am

wow i hope i havent started a trend!
Ahren Okamoto

NINE (02-03)
2005 NCHSA Judge
GenesisPhreak

Something to keep in mind about 5s

Postby jminkoff » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:19 pm

Reading the recent comments about the Logs prompted me to remind people about something that's probably obvious:

The minimum difference between a 4 and a 5 is the difference between 89 and 90 out of 100. A perfect 100 and a 90 are the same in RARB numerical scoring. Only the reviewers's comments can help a reader differentiate between the two extremes.
Jonathan Minkoff, Esq.
Producer Engineer Composer Singer RARB Reviewer
SingStrong- A cappella Summit in DC
March 5, 6, 7, 2010
www.SingStrong.org
jminkoff
RARB
RARB

Postby jonpilat » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:10 pm

I'm a late to the party here, but I just got a chance to listen to Soundproof, and I think it's easily among the top tier of collegiate albums this year. Good job, guys.

I did have a couple of comments--one is about the arranging, which I think is a little inconsistent through the record. The two best arrangments (and my favorite songs on the album are "I Wish" and "Learn to Fly". These are two tracks where the Logs _definitely_ differentiate themselves from Code Red and other albums whose intention is to duplicate exactly the sound of the original recordings. On the whole, though, I thought the arranging was not spectacularly more imitative or transcriptive than the vast majority of collegiate a cappella--aside from my two faves (one of which owes a heavy tip of the cap to the Cadence arrangement), it was about average, maybe a cut or two above. It sounds to me like people are confusing the big sound courtesy John Clark's production with transcriptions. And listen to those two tracks!!!! Top notch arranging, to my ear.

Also, my 2 favorite tracks are 7 and 8? Of 10? I don't know why y'all are hiding the best stuff "deep in the cd's butt". I thought that honor was reserved for the pretty ballad that you don't expect anyone to listen or that Yoko Ono-inspired a cappella performance art track.

(btw, that was my second comment)

g'night!

jon
jonpilat

Postby dekesharon » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:26 pm

I just visited this part of the forum (I rarely come over here), and although the hubbub seems to have died down, let me say:

I love the Logs album. I was monumentally impressed with what they accomplished, and how the album sounds so clean and bright. I love that they got a loan and built a studio, and I love that they used the technology so well.

I think the idea that the songs on this album don't have arrangements is total crap. I'd say that perhaps 1 out of every 20 college a cappella arrangements strives to be different from the original version (and I'm probably being generous). The rest are just doing their best to replicate the original sound. Which is very hard. And is by definition arranging.

I think the idea that the Logs album goes "too far" for some people may be true. However, please understand that most people are not hardcore a cappella heads. They like music in tune. They like a modern sound. They like effects. They listen to the radio, and have a different sensibilty. To this end, the Logs album is one of the most effective collegiate a cappella albums ever made.

And "The Kids Aren't Alright" kicks ass. And so does "No Such Thing." And so on.

- Deke Sharon • 800.579.9305 • http://www.dekesharon.com

dekesharon

Previous

Return to zzCommunity Reviews