Updatin'

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Updatin'

Postby phollens » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:11 pm

Hey Chris, just wanted to give ya a holler and a little kick in the butt. Can we get an update on the "Upcoming" Reviews page? It hasnt changed for 3 months, and it would be nice to see what you fellas have received, and what is about to come out.

Hope all is well,

P
www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Postby Chris » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:42 pm

Hi Pete.

Looking at the Upcoming page, it looks like Seth has included a little explanation at the top (he might have done this since your post, I don't know) that addresses your question/request.

BTW, Ben Stevens is now the RARB Coordinator, so direct your butt kicks that way! lol
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby carlyonders » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:43 pm

Chris wrote:Hi Pete.

Looking at the Upcoming page, it looks like Seth has included a little explanation at the top (he might have done this since your post, I don't know) that addresses your question/request.

Yeah...but that blurb has been up there forever and a day.

Man, I can't WAIT for that Idea of North review!!!!!
carlyonders

Postby seth » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:33 pm

This is all my fault. Sorry. Chris used to maintain that page the way he did many things: manually, but with shocking dependability. Of course, I found this horrifying, since I feel that it ought to be done automatically, but our database didn't contain priority order and reviewer assignments, so it wasn't a simple fix. It knows who has submitted, but not who is supposed to, nor does it know which CDs we've received and in what order.

I'd been meaning to address that for some time, but hadn't gotten around to it. When Ben took over, I decided to take responsibility for that page so I'd have some incentive to automate it. I kept up with it manually for a couple months, never quite having time in large enough chunks to take care of it once and for all, and then it all fell to pieces before I finished the automation.

The basic stuff is mostly done; I just need another hour or so to get it in shape, and then I need to go through all my email and figure out what the current state of things is. Then it will probably lag a bit, but not this much, until I made a nice web UI so other admins (i.e. Ben) can drop the data in when I slack off (i.e. attend to my day job).

Thanks for the kick in the pants. Feel free to reapply the afforementioned boot until progress rears its ugly head.
seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby phollens » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:33 pm

haha, right on my man. Just was keeping you honest. ;)

nothing but love.

P
www.PeterHollens.com
http://www.youtube.com/peterhollens
"No one can arrive from being talented alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius."
phollens

Postby cmasone » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:42 pm

If you're dorky, you can check which albums have been submitted for review by manually altering the URL of another review. For instance, the page listing the upcoming review for the new Aires album is:

http://www.rarb.org/reviews/504.html

you can change the number (504, in this case) to other numbers to check for new upcoming review postings. 505 is the last one that exists right now.

So, now that we all know how to do that, Seth...how can we change what got submitted for the Ordering Information? If we can change it...

Thanks,
Chris
cmasone

Postby seth » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:49 am

Checking for those pages will tell you which groups have filled out the form, but it won't tell you who actually sent CDs in, nor in which order they did so. They're usually pretty similar though.

cmasone wrote:how can we change what got submitted for the Ordering Information? If we can change it...

Send the correction to editors@this-domain and one of us will make the change before the review gets published.
seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby seth » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:53 pm

New info is up. I don't have the assignments and priority order data in there yet, and albums show up there even before we have CDs (which was not true with the old list), but you at least can see how many reviews are in for various albums and what might be in the queue.

We're definitely not working on albums that aren't on that list, and we're definitely working on all the albums there that at least one reviewer has reviewed.
seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby seth » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:43 am

Ok, now it's all set, without all those qualifiers I mentioned in my last message. If you think we're reviewing your album, you think we should have the CDs by now, you filled out the web form, and you don't see it in that list, please contact us.
seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to zzCommunity Reviews