[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - Collegeville

Collegeville

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Collegeville

Postby Nick Lyons » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:36 am

Nick Lyons

-
Nick Lyons

Postby acappellanut » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:08 am

Erik Dunbar
Pingry Buttondowns '03-'05
BRHS ACafellas '05-
acappellanut

Postby seth » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:55 pm

seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Johnsapella » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:10 pm

Obviously Seth has the real word here, but as someone who doesn't work directly for RARB, I would say that it's up to the reviewers to try and strike that delicate balance between reviewing for whatever public may come here to read the reviews and purchase (or not) accordingly, and providing some feedback to the group.

As Seth said, groups are always free to contact the reviewers; I don't know if it would help matters, but reviews could theoretically be unofficially split into a 'to the public' section and a 'to the group' section. Honestly, I think just citing plenty of specifics in a review achieves both ends. (e.g., "Tony Cipriani's solo on Alabama 3's Woke Up This Morning was delightfully heavy and edged, while Betty Crocker's turn on Do You Know the Muffin Man unfortunately came across as rather staid and uninspired, leaving me with little to do but watch my egg timer count down the seconds until the song was over," tells the public what to expect and tells the group where their strengths and weaknesses are. Blanket statements can help someone who might be looking to buy an album narrow their list a bit, but specifics will help them make a final choice, as well as make it easier to line albums up for comparison, and let the groups know what they're doing that's working, and what is falling short.)
Testostertones, 1999-2003
, 2003-2008
ACappellate Opinions, 2008-present
Learned Band, 2009-present
Johnsapella

Postby jesset » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:17 pm

Ahh, the "positive sandwich". Open with a compliment, fill in your criticism, and close with a compliment. What I learn from my years with clinicians. And marching band leadership. Hoo-hah.

"Hey Jim, I really like your shoes. God, you're an asshole! Nice hat."

On-topic, it would seem to me that those two goals can easily mix together, and I've always thought RARB's done a bang-up job of fulfilling and balancing them. Keep it up.
Southern Oregon University's , '05-'06
Sheldon High School's , '05
jesset

Postby streetnix04 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:26 pm

I can say that personally I definitely attempt to acheive both RARB goals in each of my reviews, and I believe I have acheived those goals in all my reviews thus far. However, as a reviewer, there is no requirement that every review must have something positive or negative. I am giving my review of the subjective art form I am listening to.

In this specific case ("Collegeville"), my "review" part should also be taken as the "constructive criticism/how to improve" part. The group needs to focus more on tuning in the studio and they need to work with their producer on a better mix. They need more voice control. They need to not take themselves so seriously.

I guess it's all in how the text is interpreted.

-Corey
-Corey Slutsky
Voices Only Founder
Former Collegiate and Professional A cappella Performer '97-'05
www.voicesonlyacappella.com
streetnix04
RARB
RARB

Postby brianhaverkate » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:59 am

Nick,

I appreciate your post ten-fold! I've tended to stay away from reading reviews on RARB in the past couple years for exactly your reasoning regarding the negative/positive correlation. I've always had questions regarding any type of review (movie, cd, art) because I've found I hardly ever agree with the reviewer. Most of the movies that are critically acclaimed are not what I would consider top-notch movies. They may be different and push the envelope, but I don't usually consider them to be outstanding in nature. Of course there's always exceptions. I'm not sure what that says about me as a consumer. I like tried and true...I like new and different, but only if they're what I consider oustanding. I guess I like what I like, and choose to formulate my own opinion about it. I don't know if a review ever once swayed my initial impulse (either positively or negatively) to consume that particular media.

RARB does a great job of finding faults in CDs and they do offer some compliments. However, this is usually only when the group "fixes" the faults RARB found on a previous CD. It drives me crazy, but there's not much to do about it I suppose.

Start our own review board? Just kidding. I don't have that kind of time or dedication and I do appreciate the amount of time Seth and others devote to even making this conversation possible. Great job guys!

One thing we CAN say about RARB and other a cappella outlets...they've all aided in the evolution of the art over the past decade.
brianhaverkate
RARB
RARB

Postby NasonW » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:28 pm

NasonW

Postby brianhaverkate » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:00 am

brianhaverkate
RARB
RARB

Postby dherriges » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:39 am

dherriges

Return to zzCommunity Reviews