[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - UNC Clefs- Time Out

UNC Clefs- Time Out

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

UNC Clefs- Time Out

Postby abolch » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:33 pm

Call me biased, but I'm really curious about what people think of the UNC Clef Hangers' new disc Time Out. I really like it because it's one of the most consistent a cappella CDs I've heard in a while- meaning I don't really get the urge to skip songs like I usually do when I'm listening to any CD. Obviously, I have favorites, but really I'm just wondering what people think!
Amanda Bolch
UNC Loreleis 2003-2007
www.loreleis.com
abolch

Postby sauce » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:08 am

Here's what this album made me think about:
You can do a lot of manipulation on an a cappella album these days, but you can't fake killer soloists, and that's exactly what the Clef Hangers seem to have - regardless of whether you think the perfectly engineered triangle sound is over the top or flippin' sweet.

My favorites:
She Has No Time - killer solo and what a groove in the verse
Be Without You - like butta
Feeling Good - awesome arrangement
What Hurts - I don't even like the original, but hey.

Oh, and I guess the guys really dig T.I., because there are 3 of his tracks if you count "My Love"

Another solid album from the Clef Hangers - and they seem to be doing more rap/R&B/hip-hop tracks than anyone else.
Dave Soson
2003-2007
sauce

Postby carlyonders » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:47 am

My favorite track off this disc is ''She Has No Time'' - it might be my favorite college track of the year, actually. I haven't heard any college track (tho I haven't heard them all, obviously) that juxtaposes a great song, arrangement, solo, and production so well, probably since I got my copy of 'Shedding'.

I also love ''Feelin Good'' (especially the intro), the percussion and ending from ''My Love'', and the great energy and raw nastiness in ''Time Is Running Out''...it hits you right in the face and never relents. I didn't care for some of the other tracks as much for different reasons, but didn't dislike any of them, either. I probably could have done with one less T.I. song...but they (the songs) are fun and they (the group) can obviously hang on the hip-hop tip with anyone. All in all, a pretty great addition to the collection.
carlyonders

Postby magnolia » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:14 am

First, I'd like to say that this album, from the albums that I have heard, makes the Clef Hangers the best recorded all-male group in the country at the collegiate level.

(Coming from a guy who was / is a part of a group close by and that some crazy acapellaites would consider one of their rivals, Juxta)

At times I said "Oh boy, Sperandio, you went a little too far on the effects / production..." However, its a consistant feel throughout the album, and none of it is blatantly wierd. (other than maybe the triangle hits)

With that said, I do have to disagree that they are loaded with great solos. There are a few tracks in which I felt like the background was way better than the solo, and I hate when that happens. Its like the production surpasses the soloists talent level. I do bet, however, that maybe they should have just worked a bit more on the accuracy of the solos as much as they (or Diovoce) worked on the backgrounds.

The final disclaimer, I do think they do a good job of showing they have a better solo representation on this album as a whole than 90% of male college a cappella does on their albums as a whole.
Matthew T. Bolling
Magnolia Productions, LLC | www.magnoliaproductions.com
Founder & President, VocalBluR | Richmond, VA | www.vocalblur.com
Alumni & Past-president, Virginia Tech's Juxtaposition | www.vtjuxta.com
magnolia

Postby Brojo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:14 pm

Brojo
RARB
RARB

Postby RnBMrE » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:14 pm

Matt Emery Three-time Recipient of RARB "Post of the Year" Title

RnBMrE

Postby streetnix04 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:40 pm

-Corey Slutsky
Voices Only Founder
Former Collegiate and Professional A cappella Performer '97-'05
www.voicesonlyacappella.com
streetnix04
RARB
RARB

Postby magnolia » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:01 am

Matthew T. Bolling
Magnolia Productions, LLC | www.magnoliaproductions.com
Founder & President, VocalBluR | Richmond, VA | www.vocalblur.com
Alumni & Past-president, Virginia Tech's Juxtaposition | www.vtjuxta.com
magnolia

Postby RnBMrE » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:01 am

RnBMrE

Postby abolch » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:28 pm

Amanda Bolch
UNC Loreleis 2003-2007
www.loreleis.com
abolch

Postby carlyonders » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:36 am

carlyonders

Postby RnBMrE » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:46 am

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

RnBMrE

Postby carlyonders » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:52 am

carlyonders

Postby RnBMrE » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:56 am

RnBMrE

Postby mrmiller » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:37 pm

mrmiller

Next

Return to zzCommunity Reviews