[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - AVP - Learn to Interact

AVP - Learn to Interact

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Postby dherriges » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:15 pm

When I saw them live he was doing a bit of both. I think he was practically destroying his hands after a few years of playing exclusively without sticks, so now he switches back and forth for the sake of not bleeding all the time.

I enjoyed a number of the Ganging Up on the Sun songs more when I heard them live than I do on the album. This was almost entirely because I could hear the harmonies, with both singers standing up front at mics. I just don't understand why you'd take the best aspect of their music and deemphasize it so much, in the arrangements and in the mix, but that's what they (or their producer) seem to have done for this latest album.
dherriges

Postby Yasir » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:05 am

Yasir Latifi
Academical Village People, 2004-07
www.academicalvillagepeople.com
www.myspace.com/academicalvillagepeople
Yasir

Postby jrhailey » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:57 am

Josh Hailey
, '02-'05
jrhailey

Postby billhare » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:07 am

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments.

billhare

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:12 pm

Jimmy Leathers
MD, , 2004-2008
www.myspace.com/fauxpaz
Jimmy

Postby billhare » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:54 pm

Bill Hare Some dude who records and mixes people who can't play instruments.

billhare

Postby jthelegend » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:24 pm

Hey Jimmy, i'd be glad to talk with you more about my experience working with the lot of these guys. my reasoning might be kinda lengthy tho, so shoot me an im (jthelegend07) or an email jchriscannon AT gmail DOT com and i'll chat you up.
also, go and you can pick up your very own copy of "arrival"

nice work on crisis control btw, solid stuff!
j. cannon
::2004-2007::
the panic room::producer-engineer::
member of the network
jthelegend

Postby brianhaverkate » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:50 pm

I was under the impression he plays mostly with sticks now...hmmm. Why does the new CD sound so boring rhythmically, then?

Lost and Gone Forever is the only CD I really like. Keep it Together is okay, but it's kind of boring. I like their organic sound...low production...lots of harmonies...and extensive use of the bongos congas!

Who's AVP? :-D You guys are awesome. I already said what I thought of it.
brianhaverkate
RARB
RARB

Postby mrmiller » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:52 pm

haha, I don't think the new CD is rhythmically boring though, Brian. The bongos aren't the norm sound anymore, but much like the backup vocals, are mixed down to precision and are very subtle when they enter. It's a much more economic use of a really cool thing. They're on a good majority of the track, adding just a little bit of Guster flavor and rhythmic complexity while still remaining solidly mainstream palatable. I really do think it's a CD that doesn't reveal much until about 6 listens in. Give it that though, and it's pretty awesome.
mrmiller

Previous

Return to zzCommunity Reviews