[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3828)
RARB/CASA Forums • View topic - Duke Rhythm & Blue's "Adios, Kansas"

Duke Rhythm & Blue's "Adios, Kansas"

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Duke Rhythm & Blue's "Adios, Kansas"

Postby milkpan » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:15 pm

milkpan

Postby ericskalinder » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:11 pm

ericskalinder
RARB
RARB

Postby milkpan » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:27 am

fair enough. but my concern wasn't so much over my own validity, as much as writing about something that anyone would have knowledge of. I suppose at least three people will have an idea. ;)

first, my own views aligned almost perfectly with those of Mr. Sears. a little bit less with Mr. Levin, and barely with yours, Mr. Skalinder.

a few concessions: the liner notes, the packaging are awful. the cover looks like it was scanned, printed on an inkjet, rinsed, then scanned again before being crappily produced for the album. I almost immediately pointed out the "When the Stars Go Blue" mistake, and I was definitely disappointed with the lack of credits. I don't know whether or not royalties were paid, but except for the few groups around the country that sell amounts unfathomable to the rest of us, I tend to let this aspect slide. immoral, but slide-able.

I got the impression (in comparing your numbers and words) that this last aspect weighed more heavily with you than the other reviewers. faced with an album you didn't really like, it seemed as if it allowed the crediting negative to weigh more strongly. for the first two reviewers, it seemed like they wanted to enjoy the album (despite the obvious criticisms), and so crediting/royalties didn't seem to factor in so heavily.

it sounded like production was the biggest sore spot, and I didn't see this reflected in the numbers. with 2's almost entirely across the board, I had to question how well the numbers reflected your actual opinion of each aspect. it just kind of looked like the crediting seeped into every aspect. if production was so weak, then why couldn't I see that value weaker than average? also, who wouldn't rank "One More Minute" and "Celine Dion" below the average for the other tracks? did you hear them? the scores for the tracks Shalisha Francis soloed were bumped up, but it was as if the album was doomed to all 2's before it had a chance.

just to be clear, I don't care as much for the absolute score of anything, but more the relative scores. I think they're more informative when they vary.

I suppose this is why there are three reviewers. in the end, I agreed with the overall rankings of the tracks, with minor exceptions. I actually found myself enjoying the Muppets Medley more with each listen; I like the playful syllables and impersonations, as well as the overall feel of the track. I also liked "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk" more than "Somewhere Out There," which got a bit dull to me. but I definitely didn't think all the tracks were on the same level, as proposed by the last review.

the biggest overall complaint from the reviewers was the lack of energy. I definitely agreed when I first heard the album before this one (called "Lights Out and On the Floor" I think), but as time passed, I got used to the "sound." as the energy across the entire group seems to be at the same level (as opposed to one or two lagging parts), I get the impression that it's not for lack of ability to replicate what we consider the "standard" but instead a comfortable decision, either consciously or subconsciously. I actually didn't feel energy was quite as dead as any of the reviewers made it sound; the swells were perhaps a bit subtle and muted due to the low volume of the entire album. they don't sound like they like to use much of what the studio has to offer; instead favoring a more "natural" sound that was more prevalent in the 90s.

I probably would've also put their tuning/blend as their best aspect, but I think I would've bumped up the innovation/creativity a bit, just for the song choice. granted, I don't listen to the same magnitude of albums that the reviewers do, so perhaps something I considered unique is already passé. I would've personally chucked "Breathless" as having been done to death, and maybe "Fallin'," but no one wants to hear less from Shalisha. but putting on Weird Al, Ryan Adams, En Vogue, Norah Jones (and not one of the more obvious tracks), I felt like I got a collection with some novelty and breadth, without it sounding too disjointed from track to track. This probably would've contributed to repeat listenability for me, as well.

and it's Mr. Milkpan, but you can just call me 'milkpan,' or 'milk' if you're feeling lazy.
milkpan

Postby seth » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:01 pm

seth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ericskalinder » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:08 am

ericskalinder
RARB
RARB

Postby milkpan » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:54 pm

milkpan

Return to zzCommunity Reviews