Staticflow's new EP...

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Staticflow's new EP...

Postby sdargie » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:51 pm

I bought their new EP off of the "special RARB price" page and it was worth every discounted penny.

Eliza, Go My Way, and This Time are definetly worth bobbing your head to. Each one has a distinct and catchy groove supported by solid, smooth tenors and a lush sopralto (range?) and anchored by Dave Baumgartner and a guest bass whose name I can't remember at the moment.

There is a nice balance between studio effects and "raw" backgrounds which is always a hot topic on this forum. Check it out. Do it.
Sean Dargie
All About Buford
sdargie
RARB
RARB

Postby jsdiamant » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:45 pm

Is there any difference between a "sopralto" and the more common "mezzo"?

Joshua S. Diamant RARB '02-'05

jsdiamant

Postby sdargie » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:29 pm

it sounds cooler.

so there.
Sean Dargie
All About Buford
sdargie
RARB
RARB

Postby amysingsla » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:53 pm

Steppin' in to answer this one...

In the classical and studio worlds in Los Angeles, most female singers in the "middle" range call themselves mezzo-sopranos, and then for ensemble singing choose either soprano or alto (depending on where they feel most comfortable and sound best). However, there are a few who can sing equally well on both soprano and alto parts, and we usually call them (colloquially) "sopraltos." It's a good thing in these here parts to be known as a sopralto.
Amy Fogerson
AmySingsLA@yahoo.com
So Cal CASA Ambassador
amysingsla

Postby sounderjh » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:07 pm

So it's like the difference between being a baritenor and a T2. :-P
Jim Harrington
Beatles 1963-1967
Steely Dan 1977-1989
Boyz II Men 1994-1997
Take 6 1997-2000
All-Intergalactic All-Star Vocal Band 2000-pres

[Insert requisite statement of personal responsibility for statements contained
in this post]
sounderjh

Postby sdargie » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:30 am

Actually I got the word from my girlfriend who sang "sopralto" in her "Swazz" (swing-jazz) choir in high school and I thought it was a nice play on words.

Also, when just the girls were singing from the choir, the lowest parts were called "baltos" (bass-alto).

But they didn't have enough guys to create "baritenors" or "bassitones", go figure.....
Sean Dargie
All About Buford
sdargie
RARB
RARB

Postby nuzzle77 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:49 am

For the record, referring to Lauren Chrissos as a "sopralto" is probably the most accurate vocal description. The guys in Staticflow were all amazed at how well she could blend in with 4 other men, while in the next song belt out an Evanescense solo, while in the next song hit some upper register high harmonies and rifs....

I also find it humorous at the direction this discussion thread took. It started out with a critique of our new EP, and has ended up a theoretical analysis of female vocal parts.

However, I agree with amysingsla in that it is quite a compliment to be dubbed a sopralto, or for that matter any combination of voice parts. I long considered myself a baritenor, but until somebody pays me such a compliment, I'll just remain a boring old tenor...

And just for the heck of it, another thought: is there any significance to the first named voice part in these colloquialisms? For example, does a "sopralto" have a higher range than an "altano"; does a "baritenor" have a lower range than a "tenitone"; and, of course, the largest compliment any male singer could receive, is the coveted "bassitenor" more manly than a "tenibass"?

(and can a singer be a trans-gendered voice part: tenalto, or bariprano?!?!) OY VEY!!
Jeremy Goldman
( ((Staticflow)) )
nuzzle77

Postby sdargie » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:52 am

I had just chosen the ones that rolled out of my mouth easier, but it's a good question. Is it better to have the range of one voice part and qualities of another, or some blend of the two? Should the names, whether serious or joking, have some kind of consistancy to them where the higher end of the range is mentioned first in the hybrid? i.e. Sopralto, Altenor, Tenitone, Baritass(?), or vice versa.

It's also interesting to point out that beatbass and basscussion are regular parts of our vocabulary now, while these other names are kind of running jokes.
Sean Dargie
All About Buford
sdargie
RARB
RARB

Postby rebecca » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:58 am

nuzzle77 wrote:(and can a singer be a trans-gendered voice part: tenalto, or bariprano?!?!)

The best I've heard is "bargain-counter tenor", coined by Aditi Gowri of Widening Gyre/Northern Lights to describe her partner-bandmate David Armstrong
rebecca
RARB
RARB

Postby amysingsla » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:36 pm

I beg to differ...Aditi Gowri is not the originator of "bargain-counter-tenor." That would be the illustrious PDQ Bach (aka Peter Schickele), who published a piece with a bargain-countertenor part more than 25 years ago (I know it was that long ago because I saw the printed music sometime in high school).
Amy Fogerson
AmySingsLA@yahoo.com
So Cal CASA Ambassador
amysingsla

Postby rebecca » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:50 am

Ok, well, I'm outdated; forgive me for crediting my own source instead of the definitive one. Perhaps it's time for a 25 year anniversary concert to raise awareness? Pseudo-trebles of the world, rise up!
rebecca
RARB
RARB

Postby cmasone » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:45 am

amysingsla wrote:I beg to differ...Aditi Gowri is not the originator of "bargain-counter-tenor." That would be the illustrious PDQ Bach (aka Peter Schickele), who published a piece with a bargain-countertenor part more than 25 years ago (I know it was that long ago because I saw the printed music sometime in high school).

I thought so!

I remembered seeing that too, and even went to his website to look around, but it was really slow to load and I'm lazy so I stopped.

Does anyone remember which piece?
cmasone

Postby amysingsla » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:59 am

OK, I looked at the PDQ Bach website (www.pdqbach.com) and found that Schickele used the term "bargain counter tenor" in quite a few of his works: "The Stoned Guest" (half-act opera), the cantata "Iphigenia in Brooklyn" and the opera "The Abduction of Figaro," among others. Other quirky voice types he composed for are mezzanine-soprano, off-coloratura, and houndentenor (I think he was referring to Ken B. Lane).

Now that I have thoroughly exposed my musical geekness, could we be any further from discussing Staticflow's EP?
Amy Fogerson
AmySingsLA@yahoo.com
So Cal CASA Ambassador
amysingsla

Postby carlyonders » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:43 pm

amysingsla wrote:Now that I have thoroughly exposed my musical geekness, could we be any further from discussing Staticflow's EP?

So what's your favorite song?
carlyonders

favorite song

Postby davebaumgartner » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:16 am

I can't stop listening to "The Fill". That Dave Baumgartner guy is amazing!

Everyone should buy this album right away. Only $7? You can't beat that!

-Dave Baumgartn--- oh crap.
davebaumgartner

Next

Return to zzCommunity Reviews