Bass Vocal Range... suggested exercises?

Got something to say?

Bass Vocal Range... suggested exercises?

Postby Jesus » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:45 am

I was wondering if anyone has experience with techniques/exercises to lower the bass range? In my time singing with SympVibes I've managed to drop my range pretty noticably just by singing low, but it's taken me a couple years to drop a whole step+ (from a solid D w/ the occasional C# to a solid C natural and a B in the mornings...curiously, that's about where my range was when I started singing in high school, and I progressively lost my lower range singing choral music until I got into a cappella), and I keep thinking there must be a more directed way to do this.

Thanks =)

Steve Ryan Sympathetic Vibrations 2004-2007 • Taal Tadka 2007-2008 Breakdown (Sound Engineer) 2007-current

Jesus

Postby NasonW » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:19 pm

After studying vocal performance and singing a cappella as a bass for 5 years, I hate to be the one to tell you that it seems like you're doing everything possible already to attempt to lower your register. Unfortunately, in my opinion, having a lower register is more about your anatomy and less about what vocalises you practice every day. You said you used to have a lower range before starting choral singing in high school, and now you've about gotten back to that point .. it seems to me that not having the appropriate anatomy will do just that: you may be able to adjust your range by a whole step, but not likely any more than that.

There is a plus side to this, though: Having a low C is great! I know of a lot of groups whose guys singing bass are just baritones with the ability to sing a little lower than the other baritones in the group, but that's really what they are: baritones. If you've got a strong, solid, audible C without any grumble that you can maintain, I'd say you're doing pretty well.

One point about vocal health, though ... you also mentioned that you have a low B in the mornings. I'd warn you against exploiting that too much; it's very unhealthy to sing rigorously on an unwarmed voice in that extreme register! It's fun to impress your friends, and pretend you're someone else on the phone at times, but .. I would try not singing too heavily really early in the morning unless you've had some solid time warming it up first.. your group needs your low C healthy, not your low B once in a while cuz you've shot your voice!
NasonW

Postby AVModelCadet » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:28 am

Start smoking.

I prefer Dunhill Blues.
"Why do we get caught in a net of problems, like a butterfly in a web, when we can choose to fly through the holes?"

http://www.academicalvillagepeople.com/
http://myspace.com/academicalvillagepeople
AVModelCadet

Postby Tom C » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:15 pm

I would also just mention, its not uncommon for men to bottom-out post puberty, then get progressively higher through your late teens and 20's as you grow into your 'natural range'
Thomas Czerwinski
RARB Reviewer
http://www.rarb.org/people/tom-czerwinski.html
Tom C
RARB
RARB

Re: Bass Vocal Range... suggested exercises?

Postby GunnarAndersen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 am

Wow! I am amazed to see your link because it’s amazing and I must say that your content is very good and I love to make that account. So thanks for giving me such nice platform to see your pictures because in every of it. I found something unique by visit www.essaysaviour.review/review-about-edubirdie-com-services site that is obviously great for me to see. I request you to keep sharing these kinds of blogs because your blogs are always helpful.
GunnarAndersen

Re: Bass Vocal Range... suggested exercises?

Postby uneedflowers » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Awesome post! Really enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing here.
uneedflowers

Return to General Chat