Sing IV

Discuss our reviews or just talk about any old album.

Sing IV

Postby dherriges » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:37 pm

Finally got around to buying a copy of Sing 4, and listened to it for the first time today. All I've got to say is WOW. What a terrific compilation. It particularly speaks to the quality of the collegiate tracks on here, I think, that they blend in seamlessly with the pro stuff, more so than on past Sing discs.

Also, a huge amount of creativity across the board - and the collegiate groups are giving the pros a run for their money on that front! The biggest disappointment about the last couple BOCAs to me (especially this year's) has been a decided lack of interesting arranging. Sing IV is reminding me why I enjoy a cappella as an art form. Thanks AACI for putting it together!
dherriges

Re: Sing IV

Postby RnBMrE » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:05 am

dherriges wrote:The biggest disappointment about the last couple BOCAs to me (especially this year's) has been a decided lack of interesting arranging. Sing IV is reminding me why I enjoy a cappella as an art form.

Speaking from a previously-outsider perspective (I joined the AACI in January), I have to agree with Daniel. Here's the thing for me: I don't even like all the tracks on the album. A few on the front half kinda drag or don't really keep me captured after an initial "cool" intro. That said, even those songs had me taking mental notes on arranging techniques - layering, syllabic choices, and just really unique sounds. I find something new in a track each time I listen to the disc again.

Putting my AACI cap on now, I think the compilation is serving its purpose well in this way. The goals of the Sing! series are to: a) be a slice of the world's best a cappella (obviously subjective), b) increase group exposure across the globe, and c) foster overlap and establish continuity between scholastic and professional groups. We hope that these goals are being met with the series and would love to talk more with anyone who has suggestions on how to improve!

Matt Emery CASA Director of Communications Three-time Recipient of RARB "Post of the Year" Title

RnBMrE

Postby Jimmy » Tue May 06, 2008 7:45 am

I thought all three reviews were fairly spot-on, in that they found virtually no flaws with this disc. Six months after I first got this album, it's still in heavy rotation on my CD player.

You're crazy if you don't own this album yet. Crazy!
Jimmy Leathers
MD, UMd Faux Paz, 2004-2008
www.myspace.com/fauxpaz
Jimmy

Postby A.A.C.I. » Mon May 12, 2008 9:38 am

Thank you very much to Jonathan, Randi, and Brian for taking the time to critique Sing IV. We were thrilled to receive such an overwhelmingly positive review for the series' latest installment, and we hope that this review encourages many people in the community to purchase the album and listen for yourselves!

Over the past several years, we have been increasingly floored by the high caliber of submissions to the series. As the level of excellence continues to rise, we will be tuning our ears even more readily to those albums/tracks that: a) are incredible in every aspect (not just one defining aspect of greatness), b) give us unique sounds that stretch the "boundaries" we have defined for recorded vocal music, and, perhaps most importantly, c) present us with original material.

With regards to the reviews themselves, we would like to highlight a few remarks that stood out to us...

We could not agree more with Randi's comment about each track being a "master class" of sorts. Those of us on the selection committee were struck by the very same thought, and many listeners have relayed such comments to us since its release. We found ourselves, even as we chose the tracks, taking mental notes on how to improve our own arrangements, performances, and track productions just from listening to submissions.

Brian mentioned that he has always been wary of compilation albums, and his review is, in some ways, a sort of transition from skepticism to appreciation. Indeed, we hope that his thoughts will encourage new folks to take a listen to Sing IV. We believe that there is a lot of wonderful material on the album and that you will not be disappointed. In the very least, it is certainly far from the "Now That's What I Call Music Volume 276" of a cappella!

Finally, Jonathan made a very interesting note about the dual nature of Sing IV's "listenability". We are simultaneously pleased that he has been able to experience such a smooth listen through the entire CD and intrigued by the commentary he addresses (potential lack of personality in the growing homogeneous sound). This is something we will certainly keep in mind as we prepare to select Sing 5 tracks. As stated above, uniqueness of sound is an important facet of the recordings we choose for the series. We certainly welcome any additional discussion or input on matter in this thread, as well.

All in all, we are absolutely thrilled by the responses we have received. Please visit http://allforacappella.org and purchase the album if you have not already done so!
The Alliance for A Cappella Initiatives is a not-for-profit educational organization dedicated to the advancement and continuing evolution of Vocal Music as an art form and cultural phenomenon.
A.A.C.I.

Return to zzCommunity Reviews